It is currently April 28th, 2024, 3:12 pm

FORMULA

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 5:37 pm   
Team Member

So to all the FORMULA racers out there or perspective racers.

The same boat and driver has won every single FORMULA class at every single race since entering.
What does the group think is the best idea to equalize and or level the competition table ?
Greg has a unique and rare boat but the competition is not as equal as it should be to draw the average Joe. Don't get me wrong here as Greg is fast and a great driver so yes the rest of the pack is getting better and can always do more to keep up but .....

I just would like to see a less tipped level bubble for the competition table in FORMULA
Or just leave it as is. It's your class
POST AWAY :)

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 8:19 pm   

Well I would run my highly uncompetitive Checkmate Bow-Rider just for the hell of it. Might inspire others to bring out the "Family" performance boat. Weighs about 2000 lbs rigged by my (very) rough estimate, but has a Factory rated 250HP on it, so technically doesn't qualify for Formula. I am giving up a huge weight penalty however.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 8:31 pm   
TORC VP

Allstock. That is why we have the fair competition rule if you were to show up I am sure both Jeff and I would put you in formula not lake racer. Come out and play you will have a great time! Jeff all the passes in formula last weekend were very close I think Greg is the benchmark for now but everyone is making improvements just like what happened in lake racer. Ted did get beat by Rick bryck in one race!

PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 8:46 pm   

Himagain wrote:
Allstock. That is why we have the fair competition rule if you were to show up I am sure both Jeff and I would put you in formula not lake racer. Come out and play you will have a great time! Jeff all the passes in formula last weekend were very close I think Greg is the benchmark for now but everyone is making improvements just like what happened in lake racer. Ted did get beat by Rick bryck in one race!

Well the fair competition rule is a great idea. Maybe I'll do a little testing and see where it's at. I can live with 3/4 track but getting half tracked is just plain embarrassing. What speed/Et's are you seeing in Formula?

PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 9:27 pm   
Team Member

Of course come out and give it a try. Where it competes the best is what you'd run. As Jason mentioned and we both fully agree on is .... the rules are there for a guideline but we have always tried to do what's best for each racer with ZERO bias to anyone.

I'm glad the racing is getting closer but my thought is that for three years the same boat has won each and every event. I think 100lbs would be where I'd suggest great add to his boat for each race. Then we can evaluate how that goes.

I think that's only fair to those that have come out and tried to beat him. He is fast and a great driver and hopefully he can see the good in the suggestion to add the weight. Take away the look of the passes and see just the results on paper and I think it's best for the class as a whole.

And to the ones that have mentioned this to me please know that we all should do the part in trying to make the boats as equal as possible to the end goal of ..... Having to get a video camera and having lengthy arguments over the results. Hahaha. Basically being too close to call is the end goal that I'd love to see. :)

PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 9:31 pm   
Team Member

allstock wrote:
Himagain wrote:

Well the fair competition rule is a great idea. Maybe I'll do a little testing and see where it's at. I can live with 3/4 track but getting half tracked is just plain embarrassing. What speed/Et's are you seeing in Formula?

I have no idea what the 800' et times are not the speeds. Hopefully we get some speed numbers. As for ET's ....... That's a top secret question :)

PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 10:08 pm   

I for one think Gregs formula rig is what is to be expected in terms of a top contender. Even Garths stream was running top notch. I'm on the fence about changing anything as it has just motivated me to get more involved with my set up to be more competitive. Techniques, drag plate, props and trying to stay right on the weight limits. What about having more than two passes? Does Formula weigh in at the beginning of the season?

PostPosted: August 26th, 2015, 10:22 pm   

last year I was right around 60 mph at the end of 800' if that helps. Adding weight to gregs boat is worth a try but its kinda fun trying to see what it will take to beat him, or come closer. Like his is the "formula class standard" and we try and catch up. Just another reason I wish I made it out this season, so I could see if my winters work made any difference lol.

It would be really cool if we could do a early season meet up next year an get some more time to fuck around and try stuff. I bet almost every boat would benefit from that

PostPosted: August 27th, 2015, 10:53 am   
Team Member

I do have to agree about if other competitors can do more and cheaply then it's up to them to catch up and always ask others how to get your ET's down as Greg is the type of guy ( like 99% of the others ) that would help you before himself.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2015, 12:28 pm   

Wideopen wrote:
last year I was right around 60 mph at the end of 800' if that helps. Adding weight to gregs boat is worth a try but its kinda fun trying to see what it will take to beat him, or come closer. Like his is the "formula class standard" and we try and catch up. Just another reason I wish I made it out this season, so I could see if my winters work made any difference lol.

It would be really cool if we could do a early season meet up next year an get some more time to fuck around and try stuff. I bet almost every boat would benefit from that

Yes a test and tune day is a great idea, who's neighbors should we piss off first? :lol: What is your boat Wideopen? You figure your around 60mph at 800'?