It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:18 pm

A GOOD RESULT FOR MATT'S YAMAHA AT PETERBOROUGH.. T-750

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 12:57 pm   
Team Member

Matt got a boost in confidence by beating one of the top OMC boats in one heat.
It's an important step.......Matt is working hard to improve the boat and his driving.
T-750 has several very strong competitors and it is a challenge for a new racer, especially one running a different unproven make of motor in the class.
I hope this will encourage some T-750 fence sitters to come out and try T-750 next year.
T-750 class members WILL HELP you get competitive.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 5:42 pm   

Saturday Race 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNfhDOKpl24

Saturday Race 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoZZhIqNm1A
"They are three wide again!" @ 1:50

Sunday Race 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDFV1TSi8Io
"Look at the face full of water he got!" @ 3:30

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 10:13 am   
Team Member

Matt, this is exactly the racing you needed to gain experience and confidence. Everyone raced well and everyone gave other racers a lane in the turns. Matt when you have the lead into the turn you can choose the best line thru the turn. You do not need to stay in lane one the complete turn and go pin to pin thru the turn. Being close to the entry pin and close to the exit pin is normally not the fastest way around a turn. When the second place boat is close on your outside and the third place boat is a safe distance behind, a good move is to go wide on the entry pin forcing the second boat to go even wider, then you cut back close to the exit pin and go down the next straight in lane one.
The third place boat will likely turn close to the entry pin and will exit the turn very close to the second place boat having the better inside lane,
Now it's a battle for second and you have the clean water ahead of you and the opportunity to increase your lead. It is very difficult for the other boats to catch up when they lose a few seconds in the turn.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 10:15 am   

Hey Matt, great job driving & getting your boat running so much better. Heard you picked up a couple wioth modified tuner. Congrats. :)

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 10:57 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Matt, this is exactly the racing you needed to gain experience and confidence. Everyone raced well and everyone gave other racers a lane in the turns. Matt when you have the lead into the turn you can choose the best line thru the turn. You do not need to stay in lane one the complete turn and go pin to pin thru the turn. Being close to the entry pin and close to the exit pin is normally not the fastest way around a turn. When the second place boat is close on your outside and the third place boat is a safe distance behind, a good move is to go wide on the entry pin forcing the second boat to go even wider, then you cut back close to the exit pin and go down the next straight in lane one.
The third place boat will likely turn close to the entry pin and will exit the turn very close to the second place boat having the better inside lane,
Now it's a battle for second and you have the clean water ahead of you and the opportunity to increase your lead. It is very difficult for the other boats to catch up when they lose a few seconds in the turn.

Just make sure the overlap rules are observed on the trailing boats, you can't push the outside boat out unless you have overlap of at least one boat ( we aren't under the cockpit to cockpit rules like the tunnel guys and pro boats). so if you observe the overlap rules and you try to push someone out they just might come inside you because you've left a boat length in between you and them, if you push them out by taking them deep in a corner and you don't have overlap the turn boat should dq you for bearing out because you changed lanes without overlap. If you are in the lead in lane 2 down the stretch and someone is in lane 1 you can't take lane one in the turn unless you have overlap. You can come back in on the exit pin so long as you have overlap on a potential boat that is in lane one or two now, other then that you need to maintain your lane. You can't drift out of lane one on the exit into lane 2 and 3 unless you have the overlap either. Because we use the one boat overlap rules our drivers need to be to constantly looking ahead and behind as they drive so they know what other guys are doing

Jordan was giving some comments on the overlap rules in his announcing.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 11:22 am   

Thanks Thom! we missed ya!

And thanks Don and Paul for the driving rules and tips.

I got DQ'd from race 4 (Sunday Race 2) for not shoulder checking to the inside before a turn with Jeremy on the inside of me. I guess I took his lane at the pin without enough lead distance between us. The incident and rule have been described to me several times and I fully understand it. I'm glad Jeremy saw me not check.

I've learned so much in the past few days. All of you have been very helpful, encouraging, and patient with me.

If anyone has video of the 4th race showing this, I'd like to see it.

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: September 19th, 2018, 3:14 pm   

:) Thanks Matt. I'll be back next year faster & more determined.