It is currently May 10th, 2024, 9:14 am

Proposed rule changes / updates and tech form

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2012, 7:45 pm   
Team Member

I'll be posting the new proposed changes / updates to the Drag class on Monday. Until then here's a quick short form of the updates for debate.

Class :
FORMULA
Any production performance , bass or ski type boat. Must retain complete interior.
Open to all production engines up to 225 HP. Rev limiters may be removed on all motors except Mercury 225 ProMax ( stock Mercury 225 ProMax must have factory Rev Limiter left active. Oil injection may be removed. No high performance production motors / blocks allowed. No internal engine modification allowed. Pump gasoline only. Cranking compression limited to 145psi max. Minimum 15" midsection. Any gear case allowed but must be shiftable from the drivers seat.

Lake Racer ( formerly F2 )
Any production boat that was produced with a min. of three passengers. Seating may be made to a single seat and or interior removed for competition. No true tunnel hulls ( must have center pod / pad if a tunnel )
Open to all engines. Mercury Drag / S3000 will be limited to 165psi cranking compression. Gasoline only. Minimum of 15" midsection. Any gear case allowed but must be shiftable from the drivers seat.

TORC Outlaw ( formerly F1 )
Any boat. Any motor. Any fuel type. Any midsection / gear case but must be shiftabl from the drivers seat. No nitrous allowed.

Tech cards
You will be required to have a tech inspection yearly as well as at each event. Check list will include items like :
Helmet. Competition style life vest. Kill switch that deactivates motor and fuel pump. Safe rigging. Drivers seat mounting. Etc etc.
This is to keep people safe and allow the sport to grow , not to be an annoyance. It's a simple check list that will take the proposed tech member to preform. It will take literally 10 min
Once the complete form is designed we will post that as well.

These are in rough the proposed changes for 2013. Let me know what you think. On Monday I'll be posting the complete rules and in Old vs New to be viewed , but this is basically it.
Feel free to make any questions and or constructive comments as well as suggestions. This is for us and to be fun. No the rules in each class will not be perfect for everyone and if things need to be adjusted to keep competition close we / they will do that. If at race time rules need to be pushed by those that will deem fit they will be bent and or enforced to allow the best equality , competition and show to help draw both racers and spectators.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

Last edited by Jeff Yammer on November 4th, 2012, 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 10:53 am   
Team Member

Way to go Jeff,

I 100% agree with these proposed rule changes, my only thought is to add pro max motors WITH there rev limiters in for the formula class.
Other than that, these rules are much improved.

Please anyone throw your chips in.

RT

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 11:21 am   
Team Member

Ya the 225ProMax was a dilemma to try and decide on. I was hoping to get some feedback on what you and others felt they fit. . . but your idea of them in Formula with stock Rev Limiter left active is a great idea.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 11:26 am   
TORC VP

I agree with RBT let them run in formula for now and if they dominate we can bump them up!

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 3:23 pm   

Nice Work Jeff :)

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 9:06 pm   
Team Member

Jeff Yammer wrote:
I'll be posting the new proposed changes / updates to the Drag class on Monday. Until then here's a quick short form of the updates for debate.

Class :
FORMULA
Any production performance , bass or ski type boat. Must retain complete interior.
Open to all production engines up to 225 HP. Rev limiters may be removed on all motors except Mercury 225 ProMax ( stock Mercury 225 ProMax must have factory Rev Limiter left active. No high performance production motors / blocks allowed. No internal engine modification allowed. Pump gasoline only. Cranking compression limited to 145psi max.

Lake Racer ( formerly F2 )
Any production boat that was produced with a min. of three passengers. Seating may be made to a single seat and or interior removed for competition. No true tunnel hulls ( must have center pod / pad if a tunnel )
Open to all engines. Mercury Drag / S3000 will be limited to 165psi cranking compression. Gasoline only. Minimum of 15" midsection.

TORC Outlaw ( formerly F1 )
Any boat. Any motor. Any fuel type. Any midsection / gear case but must be shiftable. No nitrous allowed.

Tech cards
You will be required to have a tech inspection yearly as well as at each event. Check list will include items like :
Helmet. Competition style life vest. Kill switch that deactivates motor and fuel pump. Safe rigging. Drivers seat mounting. Etc etc.
This is to keep people safe and allow the sport to grow , not to be an annoyance. It's a simple check list that will take the proposed tech member to preform. It will take literally 10 min
Once the complete form is designed we will post that as well.

These are in rough the proposed changes for 2013. Let me know what you think. On Monday I'll be posting the complete rules and in Old vs New to be viewed , but this is basically it.
Feel free to make any questions and or constructive comments as well as suggestions. This is for us and to be fun. No the rules in each class will not be perfect for everyone and if things need to be adjusted to keep competition close we / they will do that. If at race time rules need to be pushed by those that will deem fit they will be bent and or enforced to allow the best equality , competition and show to help draw both racers and spectators.

Ok Yammer, here come the questions.
Formula class; does "internal mods" include balancing, if so, is it allowed to match up untouched stock components?
15" mids are allowed?, do they have to be factory?
Any weight restriction?
Can oil injection be removed?
Small cases permitted?

Lake racer; any limit on compression for non drag/s3000 motors?
Are internal mods allowed?
Are bolt ons allowed (heads, intakes, swapped alternate parts etc)?
Small cases permitted?

Outlaw; why the shiftable case requirement? Can we just make it no speedmaster units?
Will there be a separate sub class for the Pro Drag boats?, Blake, Archer and whatever The bag man brings out will likely cream the likes of Gig, fast Eddie, p@ and myself (and whoever else comes out play)?

Sorry for all the questions but....I gotta lotta work to do....

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 9:27 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

i feel like i should be in Formula class but i wont have the factory interior... it will just be center steer.... any ideas ? lol

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 9:48 pm   
Team Member

If its not a written rule from the time the rules are officially released then it's not a rule gents. ;)

FORMULA
No internal engine mods what so ever. If you have a shelf of rods to find a matched set of six of the correct type rod then perfectly fine.
15" is a length rule only. ( so aftermarket or fabricated midsections are allowed )
Oil injection may be removed as it is not an "Internal" modification ( but I'll add that to the rules as well )
Any shiftable gear case allowed

Lake Racer
The answer to your questions is that it's not a written rule so it's not a rule sir.
Only Drag / S3000 compression limited.
Mods internal and external allowed.
Any shiftable case allowed

TORC Outlaw
Gear cases must be shiftable from the drivers seat. ( sorry )
Any mid allowed.
And TORC Outlaw is the top class. If this is the class you fit into then it's the best we can do for now sir.
Im sure the powers that can will have a discussion with the top dogs to allow for a better chance for the rest in the class ( unless we have a major US showing )

Don't be sorry for the questions at all ;)

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 9:57 pm   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
i feel like i should be in Formula class but i wont have the factory interior... it will just be center steer.... any ideas ? lol

Yes = put one in. ;)
Or you will have to run in Lake Racer.

The FORMULA class is intended for those that yourself and the rest of know that have a stock type Vector , Charger , Bass Boat , J-Craft etc etc to get a taste of Drag Racing. It's not actually for a purpose built "Stock Motor" drag boat ( that includes a stripped stock boat )

Keep the questions coming. It's how we grow the sport and attempt to promote to people we know or happen to meet. Due to the limited amount of competitors at this time these three classes I and others feel its the best way to continue and grow.
Also keep in mind that if we feel there's a serious doninant force then we will modify rules to allow for true competition in FORMULA and Lake Racer ...... TORC Outlaw is and will continue to line up with the typical Outlaw rules in the states due to the fact that in essense we have 4 boats that can and will travel to compete in that very same class.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 10:02 pm   
Team Member

Jeff Yammer wrote:
If its not a written rule from the time the rules are officially released then it's not a rule gents. ;)

FORMULA
No internal engine mods what so ever. If you have a shelf of rods to find a matched set of six of the correct type rod then perfectly fine.
15" is a length rule only. ( so aftermarket or fabricated midsections are allowed )
Oil injection may be removed as it is not an "Internal" modification ( but I'll add that to the rules as well )
Any shiftable gear case allowed

Lake Racer
The answer to your questions is that it's not a written rule so it's not a rule sir.
Only Drag / S3000 compression limited.
Mods internal and external allowed.
Any shiftable case allowed

TORC Outlaw
Gear cases must be shiftable from the drivers seat. ( sorry )
Any mid allowed.
And TORC Outlaw is the top class. If this is the class you fit into then it's the best we can do for now sir.
Im sure the powers that can will have a discussion with the top dogs to allow for a better chance for the rest in the class ( unless we have a major US showing )

Don't be sorry for the questions at all ;)

Thanks for the clarification.
Cheers