It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:35 pm

Voodoo history

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 7:03 pm   

Ive been hunting for a performance outboard boat for a while, and researching the options. A Voodoo keeps coming back into the picture as a fun, small, easy to store, good for my son and me option. I've search the web for all the info i can.

So far as i know there is two models, the regular and the mini. But ive noticed a few that have different decks. They seem to be later models produced since sometime in the 2000's. I first noticed this with that vid James Cole put up early this spring. Are theses custom decks, and is this possibly only one boat? Theres one forsale that has the non concave deck also(unless its the same one). I figure buying the newest i can find might mean better built and better materials. I dont want a complete restoration. All the rest are mid eighties, or older that come up forsale.

Can you guys throw up a little history one these hulls? What year was the hull introduced? Are they competitive in the t-boat class, or just mid pack/lap traffic? Where are they weak? Max motor size ever succesfully rigged?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 8:27 am   
Team Member

Those newer style decks are the new ones I believe built by John Spaeth. The deck is a little flatter and less like the traditional concave type deck on a number of those old Hydrostream models. There are lots of voodoos around and if you want a brand new one I assume that Spaeth is still building them.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 12:10 pm   

Ok, so they are a new model. What year were they introduced? And, what year did the original Voodoo come out?

The only new model ive seen forsale said it is a 2006.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 9:12 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Crawl wrote:
Ok, so they are a new model. What year were they introduced? And, what year did the original Voodoo come out?

The only new model ive seen forsale said it is a 2006.

The new deck came out in 05 or 06 maybe even earlier. Mine is a 2010...I prefer the leg room of the new deck but the styling of the original. The original came out in the mid 80's....my first one was an 89 but they were around a few years before. It took me a while to save.

Great boats...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: July 31st, 2016, 10:39 am   
Team Member

the first voodoo ... in 87 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41b49FieyR8 built by Jim Tucker of Canadian Edition in Hastings Ontario. It was based on a Delta hull and a VKing Deck. Canadian Edition stopped building them around 89 and the molds were sold to Mr Spaeth (sp).
After 3 of them, we found that the key to getting them around a corner was to build up the pad and strakes to a full 1". We picked up our 4th one last month http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/sheun ... ry/Voodoos

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 11:54 pm   
Team Member

Here's the new deck design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGeUsPUQ0U, this was first weekend out of box.
It runs 68+ all day at the lake with low 135# compression head, swinging Titus 12x23.

Crawl, what lake are u on?..any racing experience, how old son, how serious about racing T850?
New design voodoo with right set up is a great compromise between 70mph lake boat with easy driver & passenger access, to a solid race boat in rough water(that's a constant).
Their greatest weakness,....rookie drivers expecting to run front of pack with little seat time and limited interest for testing/set up.
Come watch Haliburton races, shoot the crap with others in the class.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 7:02 am   

Great info, thanks!

Im serious, but paitent at this point. And, glad i havent bought yet. I have cash stashed. As far as racing goes; no matter what I get into I tend to end up at the track. I currently race in this series https://m.facebook.com/tmrcustomsoffroadracingseries/. Racing boats would probably only happen if my son to an interest in the comming years. Checking out a race is on the list for sure.

My family cottage is on Chandos in the Kawatha's. Great lake for speed. Not to rough, but traffic can get stupid.

Son is 6, but the boat would be for him to grow into. He has no intrest yet. Loves 70 mph seadoo rides though.

Ive checked out two boats so far, and glad i have walked away. Im most concerned about hull condition. Im not a body man, but decently skilled mechanic/Machinest. I enjoy setup, and and tuning.

The Voodoo fits my needs the more I shop, ponder. We have a family bow rider. This is just for ripping around. The appeal is the fast feeling, small, and easy to store and hull around. Just a pure fun boat with no other use.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 8:26 am   
Team Member

My background similar to yours.
My son(19) showed passion @ 7, begging me to launch my 35yo Tiny Titan hydro w 5hp mariner, it's been down hill from there,...now he races anything he get's into, and very well; CSH Hydro(64mph), Critch,...and now VKing. He is a thoughtful and intuitive driver, better than I. We race Hydro's and T850 side by side and up & down( he flipped CSH in GH), it's a blast to race against each other and be each others biggest supporters, team mates.

Best advice i can give: get your son a 8' sea flea with 5hp single cylinder, then go to 10hp. Nothing beats seat time, gut feel driving, have him take responsibility for his own boat/motor, make small mistakes to learn from. On a lake a seaflea is like your first bike; it means freedom but responsibility must go along.

For the lake, start w open deck voodoo/delta, in time go from there.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 3:51 pm   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:

Best advice i can give: get your son a 8' sea flea with 5hp single cylinder, then go to 10hp. Nothing beats seat time, gut feel driving, have him take responsibility for his own boat/motor, make small mistakes to learn from. On a lake a seaflea is like your first bike; it means freedom but responsibility must go along.

For the lake, start w open deck voodoo/delta, in time go from there.

X2
Couldn't agree more.
It's all about succession planing!......but go with an "A" boat.....you'll be glad you did.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 11th, 2018, 10:45 pm   

the first voodoo ... in 87 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41b49FieyR8 built by Jim Tucker of Canadian Edition in Hastings Ontario. It was based on a Delta hull and a VKing Deck. Canadian Edition stopped building them around 89 and the molds were sold to Mr Spaeth (sp).
After 3 of them, we found that the key to getting them around a corner was to build up the pad and strakes to a full 1". We picked up our 4th one last month http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/sheun ... ry/Voodoos

Exactly correct !!
March 1987 to be exact.
I drove the very first one built. I owned HASTINGS MARINE at the time and Jim Tucker brought hull #1 to us and we put a 3-cylinder Merc 60hp on it. Jim had a really good 3-blade prop from Mercury. If I remember steering was over on starboard side and I had to sit down the centreline. Mid March so both water and air were quite cold so had to be carefull. I had it up on the pad and was probably running pretty close to 60mph. A week later we took it to the Toronto Spring Boat Show at The International Centre near the Toronto airport.