It is currently April 28th, 2024, 3:22 pm

APR SUPERLEAGUE....had strong support and very competitive!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2023, 7:54 am   
Team Member

https://www.aprsuperleague.com/
Many Canadian racers from Ontario were successful in racing in APR SUPERLEAGUE . It was major league competition with a large number of entries. Very well organized and thousands of fans. It was a real jump competition wise compared to racing in Ontario. The Canadian racers that were successful in APR became top runners in Ontario.
Not many APR events in last few years, but it was a big deal years ago.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 14th, 2023, 10:41 am   
Team Member

We began racing in APR in 2003. It was our first time racing in SST 60 class anywhere. we were told by other Canadian racers that we would get an ass kicking by them and be prepared to be lapped by the top 7 to 10 boats. Also be prepared for the”LuckyDog” inspection. They always inspect the top 3 boats and an also ran boat became the 4 inspection boat.
There were 19 entries in F3 (SST 60) . Neil Haraway (Hooters”) was the dominant boat. There were 4 others that were in the next group of competition and then another 4 running equal. The last 10 boats just filled out the field.
In the final they raced all 19 . It was a dock start two flags...1 to 10 go on first green....11 to 19 a second later on the second green. 20 laps.....top boats pulled away right from the start. The pack runners were a train unable to do anything and the lapping of the tail Enders started on lap 3. Not much fun, but I learned a lot watching. After the Sunday final Jeff Titus the chief inspector came to our pits. I thought we had won the Lucky Dog inspection. No we weren’t the Lucky Dog but but he had noticed the holes in the plastic panel in our gearcase had been enlarged and that would have been a DQ had we been inspected. In 2004 we purchased a new boat. We finished well in our first race and sure enough won the Lucky Dog inspection. WE PASSED! Three races later we won Pittsburgh.
I liked the back to back heats.
I liked the inspection process..
I liked the tow money.
I liked the spec fuel being supplied on site.
I liked the prize money...finish top 5 and it paid for all or most weekend expenses.
I liked the TV coverage at the UIM World Championship in 2008.
I really liked the support of all the fellow competitors other than one jerk .
I liked all the management and support group at APR.
I disliked racing in rivers several times with lots of damaging floating objects. We and others damaged several gearcases.
I disliked it when they shortened. the course and everyone was bunched up. Had to also purchase different props etc. change the setup and pushed the motor over its limits.
I disliked racing in dangerous water conditions. The fans are there we raced.
I disliked it when they changed the way the prize money was dished out. Far less money for top finishers so the weekend cost to race became more costly.
https://www.aprsuperleague.com/GALLERY/ ... 77-pcs.jpg

Profile Send private message