It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:18 pm

1974...Mercury vs OMC..

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 8th, 2024, 10:06 pm   
Team Member

Most of the races back then were not sprint type races. They were marathons with a time limit.
Much harder on equipment and drivers. The motors were the mercury inline six and the OMC V4. Both motors had been improved over the years and these 99 cubic inch models were the best ever. The team drivers were excellent as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYGJLCvvcJE&t=527s

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 14th, 2024, 1:50 pm   

Generally back in the 70's most of our Sportscraft races here in Canada were what I would consider 'sprint' races given that most heats were either 3 or 5 laps.

However in both 1973 and 1974 we did have both Marathon and Sprint National Championships, plus of course an overall High Points Champion.

In 1973 the Marathon Nationals were in Magog, Quebec (can't remember the duration whether it was time or laps) and then the Sprint Nationals were in Toronto.

In 1974 both Marathon & Sprint National Championships were over two days during the Thanksgiving weekend on Little Lake in Peterborough.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2024, 2:19 pm   
Team Member

I can remember how pissed off the Canadian racers were when the American factory team drivers showed up at the big event races like Toronto and had equipment especially props and powerheads that the Canadian racers even Canadian factory drivers couldn’t buy or get. Many of the tunnels that the Canadian factory racers later got to buy or race were hand-me-downs from the US factory team.
It was good that Mercury Canada continued to support OPC racing in Ontario after OMC racing support was dropped. It’s impressive just how good our Canadian drivers became in World Boat Racing once they got equal equipment!!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2024, 2:58 pm   

In 1973 several American drivers showed up for our PS100's marathon race off Woodbine Beach in Toronto.
Including Reggie Fountain, Tom Posey, Tim Briggs, Bill Petty, Gord Downard and Barry Woods.

Reggie Fountain won the race, obviously with Merc factory equipment. In the first heat with Fountain in the lead, Spencer Dunn had chased Fountain down was was maybe going to pass him but blew over and destroyed his Molinari (same Molinari that he blew over in Magog).With our Sprint National Championship to follow Fountain's #76 Molinari stayed here in Canada, number changed to #73 and Spencer drove it winning the Sprint Nationals and becoming the S Class National High Point Champion for 1973.

Top Canadians in the PS100's were Oley Berkis 8th and Brian Smith 10th.

I have several pictures but this site doesn't let me post them.